Dear Class of 2023 Graduates and Families:
Let me be the first to congratulate you as we approach graduation for the Class of 2023! Approximately 450 Mavericks will graduate on June 9th, and your commencement marks an important milestone for you and your family. The Mountainside faculty and community celebrate your graduation from high school alongside you and your family.
Because graduation from high school is an event that comes only once in a lifetime, we want to make sure this ceremony honors everyone and is respectful to all. This letter contains essential details about the events leading up to graduation, and your attention to these details will help ensure a smooth end of the school year. Please take a few moments to review this information, and feel free to contact Assistant Principal Natalie Labossiere if you have any questions.
A summary of the important graduation information can be found on the Mountainside High School website or in the Mountainside Class of 2023 Graduation newsletter (https://www.smore.com/4pey2). This information was also shared with your student at the senior class meeting on Thursday, April 6th. Please note that seniors must attend the graduation rehearsal on Thursday morning, June 8th, to participate in commencement on Friday, June 9th.
We hope that all graduating seniors will participate fully in our senior activities, and we expect them to follow the required procedures.
The next few weeks will be the most important to our seniors in their educational careers. To ensure successful graduation, seniors should follow these guidelines:
- Attend every class for the remainder of the school year.
- Make sure you prepare and study so you pass with the highest academic standing possible.
- Please make sure all fines and fees are paid.
- Avoid circumstances that will prohibit you from being allowed to participate in graduation. Graduation is a time to celebrate. However, the celebration should not deter you from achieving your goals in the future. In other words, drive safely, do not use drugs or alcohol, do not plan or take part in senior pranks, and make healthy choices. These choices could prevent you from walking at the Graduation ceremony.
Each graduating senior will receive eight (8) tickets for friends and family to attend graduation in the Mountainside Stadium. We will have a contingency plan for significant rain to ensure a wonderful graduation celebration this year. If the weather does not allow us to have it in the stadium, we will move the ceremony to Mountainside's main gym, but we will have to limit the number of people in the gym. Four (4) of the eight tickets will be colored BLACK and will get you into the gym. The remaining four (4) tickets will gain you entry into the Commons to watch the stream. Streaming will be available for all through the MHS YouTube Channel.
I want to encourage parents and family members to honor our graduating seniors by not bringing air horns or noisemakers that distract from all of our MHS 2023 graduates. The focus during commencement on June 9 should remain on the ceremony, where each graduating senior and presenter receives our full attention.
Per school board policy, only students who have met all graduation requirements will be allowed to participate in the ceremony on June 9, 2023. Please get in touch with your student's counselor with questions for those students in jeopardy of not passing one or more classes needed to graduate. For questions about a student's progress in a specific class, please contact the teacher.
Please note the attached information summarizing the end-of-the-year requirements and graduation. Especially note the information about our Senior Awards on Wednesday, June 7th, and our graduation rehearsal on June 8th. During the Senior Awards ceremony, we recognize the outstanding achievements of our seniors. Parents of students receiving surprise special awards or recognition will receive a phone call to ensure they are in attendance. Students who achieve an IB Diploma, Valedictorian, Salutatorian, Mav Scholar Award, Advanced Career Pathway Recognition, and other awards will also be recognized on this night and should plan to attend.
If you have questions regarding the Senior Awards Night, please contact Assistant Principal Rebecca Bair at email@example.com or Counselor Emily O'Quinn at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions regarding the graduation ceremony, please contact Assistant Principal Natalie Labossiere at email@example.com.
The Mountainside staff shares in the joy of our students and their families as they look forward to graduation on June 9th. We thank you for all of your efforts in making this day possible.
End of the Year & Graduation Information
Graduation Caps and Gowns
- We have begun distributing graduation regalia. The next distribution will be on Friday, May 12th. After that date, items not picked up will be in the Main Office.
- If you still need to order a cap, gown, or tassel, please contact our Jostens representative online at www.jostens.com or 1-800-567-8367.
- Seniors who have a financial need regarding the cost of a cap, gown, and tassel should see Assistant Principal Natalie Labossiere or their counselor. The school has a limited number of graduation regalia for students to borrow for the commencement ceremony.
End of the Year Requirements
- May 30th - June 8th Senior check-out. Starting on May 30th seniors can pick up a checkout form in the main office, complete it, and return to the main office to receive 8 tickets for Graduation.
- Fines and Fees must be paid and library books returned before your can receive your graduation tickets.
- Community Service Hours & CRLE’s were due on April 28, 2023. These hours need to be completed in order to graduate. Please meet with Sue Mishkin if you have any questions about community service hours and/or CRLEs.
- Senior Presentations
- The majority of our 12th-grade students will complete their Senior Presentations in May through Advisory.
- Senior Finals: There is no special schedule for Senior Finals. Generally, finals will be course-dependent.
Seniors' Last Day of Classes: Wednesday, June 7th
Senior Awards Ceremony: Wednesday, June 7th at 6:30 pm
- The Senior Awards Ceremony will be held at Mountainside High School in the Main Gym.
- Senior Awards recognize the outstanding achievements of our seniors. Awards to be recognized include such areas as department awards, IB Diploma recognition, Mav Scholar Award, Advanced Career Pathway Recognition, academic honors, Valedictorian(s), and Community Service, as well as several scholarships.
- This ceremony is a special evening honoring your accomplishments, please dress nicely for the occasion.
- In the Senior Exit Survey, students will be asked to include if they are receiving a college scholarship award or any financial aid grant money.
Seniors' Last Day: Thursday, June 8th
- 8:00 - 9:00 am - Light Senior Breakfast in the Upper Gym
- 9:00 - 10:30 am - Graduation practice will be in the main gym; students must attend this rehearsal to participate in commencement on June 9th. Please do not bring backpacks or personal items, as there will be no place to store these items.
- Immediately following rehearsal, members from the Grad Night committee will be on site to sign students up for buses.
- 10:30 - 11:00 am - Senior Video in Auditorium
- 11:00 - Seniors are excused for the remainder of the day.
Commencement: Friday, June 9th, 2023 at 6:30 pm
- Each senior will receive 8 tickets for family and friends - 4 Black Tickets & 4 White Tickets.
- Weather Permitting
- Mountainside High School Stadium, 12500 SW 175th Place, Beaverton, OR 97007
- Tickets are required for admittance into the stadium.
- The tickets guarantee seating, not location. No seating is allowed on the field.
- Extreme Weather Conditions
- Mountainside High School Main Gym.
- The Black Tickets will guarantee a spot in the main gym. The other four tickets, guests will be able to live stream the ceremony from the Commons.
- Students should arrive by 5:30 pm on June 9th. Parking will be very limited, students should be dropped off or carpool. Please report to the gym.
- Doors to the stadium/gym will open for families at 5:30 pm.
- While the stage will be facing our home stands, students will be facing the away stands, seating will be provided in our guest bleachers. Seating is first-come, first-serve, and seating in a specific location in the stadium is not guaranteed. No seating is allowed on the field.
- Students' personal items must be left with friends or family during graduation.
- It is expected that our graduating seniors dress in attire (business attire) that matches the significance of this event. Caps and gowns must be worn as issued.
- No messages or designs on caps are allowed.
- No additional items should be worn.
- We have arranged to have a professional photographer to capture the moment of graduation for each graduate and that photo will be made available for purchase.
- We will have American Sign Language interpreters assigned to our graduation ceremony. If you have any questions, please contact Assistant Principal Natalie Labossiere at firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-356-3500.
- We will live stream the commencement ceremony. Specific details will be released closer to Graduation.
Grad Night: Friday, June 9th, 2023, late evening to Saturday, June 10, 2023, Early Morning
- Grad night party is an annual event that offers Mountainside High School’s newest graduates a drug-free, alcohol-free, safe event to celebrate their exciting graduation. The party goes all night and includes transportation to and from the secret venue, delicious food and drinks, all-night snacks, and a wide range of entertainment and fun activities planned to appeal to a variety of interests. THIS IS NOT A SCHOOL-SPONSORED EVENT.
- All students who are eligible to participate in the 2023 Mountainside High School graduation commencement ceremony are invited to attend the grad night party.
- After graduation on Friday, June 9, 2023, students will load buses at Mountainside High School, at 9:45 pm.
- The event is organized by a committee of parents/guardians through MPACT, Mountainside’s Parent Teacher Organization. It is not a Mountainside High School or Beaverton School District event. If you have any questions please visit www.mountainsidepact.org/grad-night.
- Seniors are encouraged to donate their graduation gowns back to the school after the ceremony or drop them off at the school office. Gowns given to the school are provided to future graduates on a scholarship basis. If a family member or friend won’t be using it again, please consider returning it to the school. Thank you!
Mountainside High School, Class of 2023, Graduation Reminders.
- Each graduating senior will receive eight (8) tickets for friends and family to attend graduation. 4 Black Tickets & 4 White Tickets. All eight (8) tickets are required for admittance into the stadium. The tickets guarantee seating, not location. If the weather prevents us from having graduation in the stadium, the ceremony will be moved to the main gym. The black tickets will guarantee a seat in the main gym. Your guest can live stream the ceremony from the Commons, Auditorium, or classroom for the other four tickets.
- Please visit the main office if you have not picked up your cap & gown. Also, please let your counselor know if you need to borrow one.
- Senior checkout is from May 30th - to June 8th. Students must pay all fines and fees before picking up graduation tickets.
- Seniors' Last Day of Classes is Wednesday, June 7th.
- Senior Awards Ceremony is on Wednesday, June 7th, at 6:30 pm.
- Senior Breakfast and graduation practice are on Thursday, June 8th, starting at 8:00 am.
- You must attend graduation practice to walk in the commencement ceremony.
- MHS Class of 2023 commencement is on Friday, June 9th, 2023, at 6:30 pm. Graduates have to arrive by 5:30 pm.
If you have questions regarding the Senior Awards Night, please get in touch with AP Rebecca Bair. If you have questions regarding the graduation ceremony, don't hesitate to get in touch with AP Natalie Labossiere.
- All of your data on Google Drive will be gone the day after you graduate.
- If you want to keep a copy of this data, you have to download it to a personal device before June 11th, 2023.
- Everything you need to know about saving your Google Drive data can be found here.
- If you have any questions, come to the library before you graduate.